For my shape & balance modular, I decided to go with a “fishy” theme involving the use of fishes! As a young child I had a little packet of “How to Draw” step-by-step instructions of various designs. One of the designs was a fish created via geometric shapes. Somehow, when thinking of what to do for this assignment, the fish came into my mind. I then took the idea and made it into the two other segments of the assignment: organic and ambiguous. For ambiguous I was thinking of trying to represent a fish scale, and for organic a more “lifelike” fishes compared to the simple creation of the geometric fishes.
The geometric and organic designs came quickly into production. I had a hard time using the pencil tool when creating the organic fish, yet in a way the “flaws” in my design actually turned the design into something cool and edgy. For the ambiguous design, I had a little trouble. The scale idea I was going with didn’t really seem to capture the “fish” theme of my compositions. Instead I took the design from my organic and BLEW it up to a ridiculous size and focused on the head. From there I tried capturing a fish’s head in the overall design of the organic composition. I think it worked perfectly. The only flaw I have with it is the use of “seaweed” in the corners. The “seaweed” seems to feel off placed and takes away emphasis from the fish’s head.
Either way: I had a fun time creating a more lifelike work (organic composition) this time around. It was fun to explore some news tools and create some uniqueness via the opacity tool. 🙂
Attached below is the PDF with my 3 designs: